Tuesday, May 22, 2007

A Not-So-Brief Summary

Arg... Summarizing this is much harder than I would have thought. That's why I wrote so much as I went. But, if you're only interested in the CliffsNotes version - I hope this is good enough (even though it's still really long). I've tried to keep it relatively brief (follow the links to my original posts if you wish to read more), but it does seem to go on, and on...

Many of you probably want little more than,
I had a great time and I'm glad I went. And yes, I can speak some Spanish now.
So - for all of you: I had a great time and I'm glad I went. And yes, I can speak some Spanish now.

For everyone else, the option is yours: to read, or not to read. Enough people have expressed interest that I'm putting this out there for them! Oh, and check out the photos and videos.
Back in February, after finishing a job with Karaeiga, I decided I needed a fresh, revitalizing pause - before diving in on another project. (Some people buy convertibles or go sky-diving. Me? I said to myself, "Self - why not travel a few months and study Spanish?")

So off I went to Guatemala, Costa Rica, and Panama (a surprise last minute addition). Several friends led the way before me, inspiring the trip and encouraging me to go "while I had the chance." True words! And although I didn't travel for the entire time - I'm closing in on 4 months of "holiday." I highly recommend it: traveling that is*, and especially extended traveling (the sort that lets you relax, ponder, regroup, and consider stuff - from an outsider's perspective... while at the same time availing opportunities to learn, have fun, meet new people, explore, and see the world).
* Taking time off work is pretty nice too - but this is about what I did do - not what I didn't do. But sadly, it's time for the break to end and for me to go back to work.
Language Schools and Learning Spanish
Initially, my interest in Central/South America was cursory at best, but recently that interest started to grow (living in LA has that effect I suppose). So, I enrolled in 2 schools: La Union (in Guatemala) and Wayra (in Costa Rica). I figured living in-country would be a more effective method than enrolling in a Saturday morning class at SMC. I decided to hit two countries so as to experience more culture and learn more versions of Spanish. I knew I'd done the right thing from day # 1 when I arrived and started classes. Wow!

I studied 4-6 hours five days a week (it varied from week to week) and I had a total of 4 teachers - 2 at each school. That was good to keep me learning new things in different ways. But, it was frustrating as well - since each time I switched teachers I felt like I got dropped back a grade to review stuff I already knew but wasn't using (no surprise: knowing ≠ using). The school in Guatemala really pushed grammar, and I learned tons... Then when I got to Costa Rica, I realized my conversational skills and vocabulary needed a push. And good thing - that's what they specialized in. So it worked out perfectly: start with a fast push for grammar and comprehension, then move on to expression and an expanded working vocabulary.

Somewhere in my head, I've stashed away the Korean I once knew. Now, when I try to speak it - out comes Spanish (or occasionally Spanish with Korean conjugation - weird, I know). The cool thing is - it means I actually learned something. As a reference point: one week of Spanish seems to equal to about a month of Korean. I remember about 10 months in Korea thinking I could finally talk to people, and that's about how I feel with my Spanish after 10 weeks.

So - Mission accomplished. I'm not fluent, nor did I think I would be. But I can speak, read, and write in Spanish. And I think that's pretty cool. What's the practical application of this? I don't know, but I don't use Korean much either (and that doesn't stop me from being glad I learned it). Just learning something new is worth it. Knowledge!

Colonial Life and Religion in Antigua
In Guatemala, I spent most of my time in Antigua. What a cool place to call home! It's a great city with plenty to see and do - and it's super cheap! Built in the 1500s and somewhat destroyed by an earthquake in the 1700s, they somehow decided to keep Antigua a representation of the colonial past. So, it makes for great walking tours, ruins, churches, music, and culture. It's really beautiful and somehow really relaxing. Oh and my fellow students were great people (especially the Triumvirate of Wandering).

Catholicism is a big deal there - at least at Easter time. I really didn't realize what I was getting into. Sure, I'd read about the processions and all, but nothing fully prepared me for what I saw when I got there. And, repeatedly seeing these communal-struggles effected me and I took the opportunity to contemplate my own faith and why I do what I do. The spirit in Antigua and my background also led to many discussions about religion (the good, the bad, and the ugly). The long lasting effect of early Catholic "domination" doesn't sit too well with many of the locals, and all us foreigners were just trying to grasp the whole procession thing.

Panama
Bocas del Toro was a wonderful last minute addition to my trip. Panama is a undiscovered gem in Central America. I really can't say enough about it, but the border crossing, the canals, the dolphins, white sands, everything... Go - I highly recommend it. Aside from simply living in Antigua, this weekend was probably the highlight of my trip (sorry Cath).

Tamarindo
And then, if I had to pick a non-highlight for the trip? I guess it would be the city of Tamarindo.http://www.blogger.com/img/gl.link.gif It may have been the culturally void (mostly) contrast with Antigua or just the over commercialization and touristy feel of Costa Rica, but whatever it was... Tamarindo isn't on my list of places to re-visit. Even so, I had fun surfing, riding scooters, and hanging out with the students. But Tamarindo itself? Nothing special (in my book), and yet there are condos for sale for $680,000 if you decide you're interested. Weird.

Traveling in Costa Rica
But, making up for Tamarindo is the rest of the country. Weekends in Monteverde and La Fortuna were totally unforgettable! Costa Rica has some amazing natural wonders and a booming Eco-Tourism industry. Bugs, zip-lines, off-roading, etc... Really cool stuff.
Wow, that pretty much covers it... At least summarily. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Jessica said...

PS- I can't wait for Part 2 of the celebration this weekend! See you there!!!

f*bomb. said...

HOLY CRAP, DavEd!
This is UNbelievable. I LOVE IT.