Thursday, March 29, 2007

Liberal or Conservative Mormon

The 7-Ups I've been drinking lately bring on the questions, "Why don't you drink." And soon enough the conversation spins its way around to religion - no surprise: I'm Mormon.

Anyhow, last night while we were waiting for BVSC to start playing, someone asked asked if I was a "conservative Mormon or a liberal Mormon." Honestly, I think that's a strange question. Granted there is a spread of attitudes and opinions within the church (as there are in many religions) and, with millions of Mormons around the globe, we're not all the same. But it's not like we've grouped ourselves into distinct and separate categories... Compared to some, I'm probably liberal, but I don't consider myself a "liberal Mormon."

Anyhow, I had her explain what she meant. Well, you see - the Mormons she knows:
1) would never go to a bar (not to mention with people who drink or smoke)
2) have parents who disown their children when they decide to leave the church
3) feel obligated to lie to their parents to hide dating relationships with non-Mormons
and
4) don't extend themselves openly to people who aren't members of their faith
Well... It seems that's what she meant by "conservative" Mormon. So no, by that definition, I am not a conservative Mormon - I'm proud of it. It's frustrating to me that people (of many religion) resort to such actions. And being Mormon, it especially frustrates me that members of my faith (who claim to worship God "according to the dictates of [their] own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may") do it.

I mentioned previously that I'm reading Mere Chistianity. C. S. Lewis said it well when he wrote,
An individual Christian may see fit to give up all sorts of things for special reasons... but the moment he starts... looking down his nose at other people who do use them, he has taken the wrong turning.
I like Lewis. Anyhow, enough of my soap-box about uber-orthodox, "conservative," rude, unfriendly, Mormons. I'd like to think they're few and far between. But, they're also the most noticed/remembered.

Thankfully, we got past those first-impressions and onto a better, and more "interesting" (to me and to them) discussion. I found myself teaching what some might call a First Discussion. There I was, sitting in a bar (with peple that smoke and drink, nonetheless) reviewing the basics of LDS church history and Joseph Smith. It was really cool (until we got interrupted, but they both said they'd like to continue the discussion later).

It was funny (for me) because she started by asking if
1) this trip to Guatemala was part of my mission, and
2) if I knew much about the history of my church.

It's pretty hard to be an active Mormon for 30+ years and not know a fair amount about church history, teaching, and doctrine. Anyhow, I chuckled. No, this trip is not part of my mission (that was "Long Long Ago in a Galaxy Far Far Away"). But yes, I know a bit about church history - at least enough to explain our (Mormons) belief in the Bible, God and Jesus Christ, an apostacy, Joseph Smith's role in the restoration and translating the Book of Mormon.

I enjoyed having the chance to share it all (I think it showed, because I feel like I was talking a mile-a-minute knowing that there was limited time and so much to cover). I haven't had a chance to teach/explain this stuff in far too long. The workplace is never very conducive to long involved dicussions... And it was nice to be explaining this to people that were genuiunely curious and open minded. Anyhow, fun times!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you are having a great time! I'm glad that you are not a "conservative" Mormon. You know, Christ visited bars - that's where the sinners werewho needed his help.
Thanks for letting me/us in on your adventures.
Is it majorly hot? Do you get a shower every day? How is the food?
"Guatemala City!" (Not only am I fluent in Spanish, as you can tell - I speak the local dialect!)
Emer Dean

bohdimlh said...

Great post. One of my favorite so far. I fully agree. (Now watch, when we get to the pearly gates: "Liberal Mormons to the left....Conservatives to the right...")