Sunday, May 20, 2007

My lucky day

You know how I thought I'd have a long, boring, arduous travel day on Saturday? Not so.

While riding into town, I realized we were driving right by the airport. No need to go into the city, just to go through the hassle of transferring onto another bus to go back out of the city. So, I jumped off the bus (at 12:02 pm thank you), walked into the airport, checked my bags, and had a full afternoon to enjoy a bit more of San Jose without all my stuff (and without 2 extra bus rides and a taxi).

It turned out that I had about 4 hours, so I went and got another look at San Jose - though the eyes of a child. I went the the Children's Museum. I'm just a big kid, so I really like children's museums. Ages ago, our family would visit the Science Center in Toronto, and I just could get enough. So, in LA, Washington, Rochester, New York, Long Island, even Munich... I'm a sucker for the kids museums.

Cool thing about this one (sorry no pictures yet) was that it's inside a renovated prison. Yup, about 15 years ago an old, run down, falling apart, unusued prison needed something to do with itself. And someone figured out a way to get the money to renovate and open it as a museum! Super cool. Nothing like learning about the pyramids of Egypt from a prison cell.

Anyhow, in the end - I think San Jose grew on me. I don't know if I need to go back, but I found enough to like that I retract my initial assessment.

No comments: