Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Centro Linguistica ''La Union''


More keyboard troubles. I have no idea how to put 2 dots over a u 'u' on a PC.

Anyhow, the school... I was referred to 2 different school here in Antigua. This one sounded like it would suit me. And it does. (No offense Joey - your school sounded cool too, and I'm wondering if 1/2 and 1/2 would have been a good idea). Oh well.

Most (probably all) of the schools here in Guatemala offer one-on-one instruction. In Costa Rica (later in the trip), I'll likely be in group classes (4-6 students), but I'm really glad to have the solo attention to work on whatever isn't 'clicking' at any particular moment. (Today it was 'ser' and 'estar' - anyone who speaks Spanish surprised? I thought not).

Anyhow, here's the drill. They offer variable programs (you can pick how much school you want). I picked the 5 hours a day 5 days a week route. This leaves me with afternoons to check out the city, do my homework, go on short trips, rest, and otherwise be 'on vacation.' I have a feeling that it's going to keep me plenty busy.

They also offer various 'activites' in the afternoons (most of them free) to help practice what's covered in class: games, movies, outings, even dance class! So, I think it's going to shape up to be a pretty fun and short lived experience.

Oh and one more thing. The school organizes/coordinates opportunities for the students to do service in and about town. (I call it town, because I'm used to calling LA a town. I'm not alone in that, am I?) But my point... At some point, I hope to get set up with one or more of these programs, so that will gobble up some more of my time while I'm here (and give me more real-life opportunities to help the Spanish grow). More on that as things develop.

In all reality, I get the feeling that all the school operate about the same and have similar rates. Some are newer or cheaper, but the idea is the same. And even the most expensive schools in town are pretty cheap (about $5 per hour of class time).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm SOOOO offended you didn't pick my school!!! well, okay, maybe not. :) Glad you're having fun!!