Thursday, March 15, 2007

A Map, A GPS, a Gringo, and a Guidebook

Yesterday, the school took a group to visit a nearby volcano (there are at least three nearby). I opted out of the trip - hoping they'll do it again while I'm here, and when I understand more - so I could actually get out and see Antigua (I do live here afterall).

In my past travels, I've become a bit addicted to the safety of a GPS when wandering in uncharted countries. So, I grabbed a map, my Lonely Planet guide book and my GPS then headed out for an afternoon on the town. Antigua isn't really big enough to warrant a GPS, but I am (as Sandra says) 'Gadget-Boy' - so I brought it along.

As it turns out, the GPS and the guidebook weren't all that usefull. I need to figure out how the grid system of addresses works before I can actually find anything in the book. And since the town is so small - the need for a GPS is slim at best) aside from feeding my Gadget Additiction).

(At some point, I'll figure out how to post photos... but for now just me and my ramblings. Enjoy!)

The main city is a grid of about 10x10 blocks (not nearly as big as LA or SL blocks though) and it took me a few minutes to realize that 'Via Una' doesn´t mean '1st Street.' (Hey, I´m a beginner!) But, it actually means 'One Way.' Good thing I´m not driving!

Some people in L.A. told me to prepare for major 'cutlure shock' coming to Guatemala. Maybe they don't know my travel history? This is a great little city and so far I really like it (but how could I not?). In many ways it like mixing Korea, Isreal, mainland China and Mexico all into one.

All the streets are cobblestone from ages past and the city actually has laws in effect to limit the potential destruction of the old-style architecture that makes it so quaint and picturesque: No buildings over 2 stories - for instance. And although many of the buildings are built (much like buildings from those other places were built) out of low-grade unfinished cement-concrete... they paint the walls all sorts of bright colors. So, walking the streets is always a cheerful colorful experience (Korea and mainland China still haven´t figured that much out).

I eventually found a few places listed in the guidebook - including a trustworthy ATM so now I'm completely set. I have a school. I have a place to sleep and three meals a day. And now I have money. What else is there? Some might say I ought to get a job or a girlfriend (heck I heard that back in LA). But so far, things seem to be working out just without either... but I´ll keep you posted.

Anyhow, I´ll slowly figure out the addresses and eventually make it into some of the various Churches and other landmarks. Stay tuned for those adventures (as well as my eventual visit to the volcano and elsewhere).

No comments: