Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Surfing the Tides

Well, I took a surf lesson last Monday. I was able to get-up and yet when it was all over, I was sicker-than-a-dog (I'm out of shape and surfing takes work). I included Tamarindo in my trip because I wanted to "learn to surf." Well, I learned.

Unfortunately, the good tides (high tide) for surfing here coincide with my classes (ie my classes at Wayra are at the same time as the good tides). So, that means I haven't been out on the water surfing a second time. I tried to go yesterday, but poor planning on my part meant I couldn't rent a board (I left my credit card at home, and imagine this: they wanted a deposit for the board - and they wouldn't take my iPod and camera).

Today, I thought about going. It's likely my last chance for good waves, but having been inside for some time (in air conditioning) at this internet cafe - I'm so not interested in
going outside
changing clothes
lathering up the sunscreen
surfing for less than an hour
likely feeling sick
cleaning up in time for class
and fitting lunch in as well
I have just over 2 hours before I start class (1 pm daily, this week).

I think I've figured out why I never learned to surf in LA. Sports that offer such a low ROI on time usually don't interest me. The prep/cleanup time for surfing is about the same as (if not more than) the actual activity. In UT, my sport of choice was skiing. The pay off (8+ hours of skiing) was worth the investment (1.5 hours to get there and back and clean up). I guess I'm "lazy" when it comes to sports.

No comments: