Monday, May 14, 2007

They Call This Culture

I'm not convinced that Costa Rica has maintained any of it's original culture (or at least, it's all been wiped out along this touristy coast). But, the school hosted a little "Culture Night" last week. It ended up being a 20 minute dance recital followed by wanna-be-dancing with the entire school, but I guess that counts.

In addition to watching this couple dance (to a CD that continually skipped), we had a competition to see who could "scream" the best. I guess the guys in the country have a farmers scream. Or maybe not, but that's the impression I got. Each dance started with a cry out from the guy. Granted, maybe it's the equivalent of a contrustion worker whistling at a girl (they didn't really explain it). They did however get all the men up front and we had one chance to show how "tico" (Costa Rican) we were.

I didn't win.

No comments: