Saturday, March 17, 2007

I am not an architect...

Oy, in a post a few days ago I wrote something to the effect of 'buildings here are built like buildings in many places Í've been.'

This is simply not the case. The thing is - I'm not an architect (despite that one-semester class back in 12th grade). So, try to let it slide that I compared (superficially) the building techniques of Antigua with those of China´. Since then, I´ve gone on a much better walk through the city, a fantastic guided walking tour with an Antigua expert, and I´ve had a better look at this fine city from above at a great lookout on a hill north of the city.

Without borring you with the full history of Antigua (and if I did, I´d remind you that I'm no historian either), major parts of this city have been here since the 1700s. Oh sure, huge chucks have been destroyed in several different earthquakes, but still... the infuence of the long history is everywhere.

It used to be the capitol of Guatemala and we can thank our lucky stars that 'they' decided to move the capitol. There's no way this place could have survived if it hadn't been downgraded from capitol. Since then, they've declared it a national historic monument (the whole city), so they´re started doing what they can to restore (in in most cases just preserve) the look and feel of the main 12 by 12 block area of the city.

There are about 30 churches in town. They like churches.

No comments: