Friday, April 27, 2007

Bocas del Torro

If anyone asks, I'm a few miles away from home... and loving it. I wish I had more time to visit more of Panama, but alas this will have to do. Panama City sounds incredible, but I didn't really plan time enough time for more than Costa Rica and Guatemala (and I'm pushing it just to fit this in)... So I guess that means I'll be coming back (anyone surprised?).

Today, I got up (after a lengthy night's sleep to make up for two early morning wake-up calls and a walk through San Jose) and went on a dolphin, snorkel, lunch, beach, snorkel boat trip.

It turned into a dolphin, snorkel, lunch trip (cut the final visit to a beach and an additional dive) when the rain started. Ooops. Someone forgot to tell me it was rainy season. Doh! Oh well, in the end it all turned out well enough. I'll have blenty of beach time in Tamarindo and at least we got one dive in. The snorkeling was magnificent. The coral was about 5 feet down. i.e. It was right there. And the fish were great. I can't really tell you the specifics, since my dive knowledge amounts to knowing
how to clean and use the gear
describing fish and coral using the primary and secondary colors
knowing not to stand the coral (unlike the guy in our group)


Yes, I am a white, hairy beast. But I got to see really cool corral and fishes, so I'm ok with it. I guess I just need someone to punch me in the eye, so that I can be red, white and blue... and truely represent my country.
These guys are chopping their way through the water. Slow progress. We soon followed with 250 CC of motor pushing us. Little trouble for us. It´s a 40 minute ride through canals to get to Bocas. That part is perhaps the most memorable. It´s amazing.

No comments: