Friday, March 9, 2007

In the beginning...

About 15 years ago, on my first trip out of North America, I bought a small paperback journal. The title of that fine - yet flimsy - volume was, "A Solitary Vagabond." I didn't name it; it came that way from the publisher (along with a cover-photo of a man strolling away from the camera down a deserted railway to destination uknown). That image always makes me smile. The unknown is where the adventure is and adventure comes in so many unexpected forms. I like unexpected adventure.

That was Kumi, South Korea. It was 1991 and I had just finished my first journal ever. Since then, I've written volumes upon volumes - volumes that you'll likely never read (unless you're really really nice, make me plenty of yummie cookies, ask patiently and often, and bear my children... then perhaps there's a chance).

And yet, in preparing for this trip - I realize that I have far too many people wondering how things are going to pan out as I venture south to Guatemala and Costa Rica to study Spanish and dive into exploring the countries and culture. So, instead of neglecting some/all of you and your interests in my quest (I simply won't have time to email you all individually) - I'm planning to do a some public journaling (a.k.a. blogging). I realize that my ramblings may not interest you at all - and that's completely fine (on occasion, they might not interest me either!).

And there is one of the wonders of the internet: You don't have to be here... You have over 108 million other options to pick from if my run-on sentences don't engage you. So... come, read, comment, and email me at will. I'm happy to share with anyone who cares to visit.

8 comments:

tom said...

dave... you rule - thank you for ruling so hard core and i look forward to hearing all your adventures through your blog! I'm also dying to find out how this works out for you as it's something i'd definately love to do with the Mrs maybe after Avatar's done....

Anonymous said...

This sounds GREAT!!!
Drink it in, Dave, and bring us back tales of wonderful adventures!

Emer Dean

bohdimlh said...

Looking forward to reading about your trip, and hopefully see some photos!

boxpilot said...

travel on lonesome wanderer . . .

Emily said...

I would say I miss you but I all ready do, I would say you're crazy but I picked up and left LA too... It sounds amazing - much more adventurous then my move... You get more points. Have an awesome time I can't wait to see photos and hear about it.

dnbn said...

Dave,
It will be strange to think of you out of touch for computer consultations and video conferencing!

May you travel with safety and good health.

May God be with you 'til we meet again.

Looking forward to hearing of your adventures.

Love ya!

Dad

ps You will send images, won't you?

: )

dnb

Anonymous said...

Dude! I so admire this. Have a GREAT time.

catherine said...

hey dave! we're planning on coming may2-16. we're going to rent a car so we'll be much more flexible. we'd love to get together- at your school or wherever. ( we'll have to have a BIRTHDAY dinner somewhere!!) glad you're having fun! cath