Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Scam Jose...

I don't like the marketing techniques of taxi drivers in Central America. There, I said it.

Two weeks ago when I went to Flores to see Tikal, Eve and I were accosted by a mass of madmen (taxi drivers) wanting to drive us anywhere. The same thing happened this morning in San Jose, Costa Rica at the international airport. [If anyone from the tourism beaurau is reading this: I was so turned off I wanted to get back on my plane and go anywhere else.] Luckily, I fended them off with greater ease this time (probably because it was 10 am and not 6 am). They were all generous enough to offer me a ride to the Carribe bus terminal (to catch my bus toward panama) for the great price of $18.

Wow, what a deal?! Not.

Oh sure, if you're multiple people, with lots of bags, and you have no adventure in you, then maybe... But, let me let you in on a secret: there's a bus stop right outside the airport and for $0.60 (yes, 60 cents) you can get a bus to the city. $18 is not a good price. A lesser me might have accidentally taken one of them up on the offer, but this time - I won. I denied their advances, found the bus and got to the bus terminal. And I'm $17 richer than the average man.

Thanks.

5 comments:

Snyder Family said...

Hey, I'm just catching up on some of your posts. What an adventure! Glad to see the hair's still short. By the way, I think you left a book at our apartment just prior to your departure...it's waiting for you.
ciao or adios!

Snyder Family said...

Hey, I'm just catching up on some of your posts. What an adventure! Glad to see the hair's still short. By the way, I think you left a book at our apartment just prior to your departure...it's waiting for you.
ciao or adios!

Snyder Family said...

Okay, that's really lame...I'm just not as computer savvy as I look. (Because I do look like a computer nerd.) And it won't let me delete the second post to save myself embarrassment. At least I know you'll laugh at my frustration :)

Anonymous said...

Not wanting to be outdone by Christi, I'll add a comment, too!

I expect you to take copious notes on all the deals I need to know the next time I am willing to go to Latin America (when I've forgotten all about Peru).

Anonymous said...

And here I am wondering if I should clean up all of Christi´s notes. Nope. I like them just the way they are (can you tell I heard a little Billy Joel recently).

Anyhow, thanks for the notes. And yes, Maret: copious notes, indeed.