Friday, April 27, 2007

Taxis

In San Jose, I was offered the glorious price of $18 for a taxi from the airport to downtown. I was a bit putoff by the whole thing, but I must admit that the same rate is what I'd likely pay in Los Angeles for a taxi from the airport to my apartment. Still, that doesn't make it right. I was just frustrated that no one was more helpful in finding the cheaper solution (the $0.60 bus).

Anyhow, lest anyone acuse me of being less than helpful...

In Los Angeles, there is a cheap option for getting to/from the airport. It is also called a bus (we even spell it the same in English as in Spanish). You can get to just about anywhere in the city for a mere $0.75 (maybe $1 if you're picky).

Visit MTA.net for deatils and schedules. And next time you want a ride home from the airport, remember there is an option that doesn't cost your friend 2 hours and won't cost you $18 either.
Let me just say, for the record, that I don't like being "helped" by these "helpers." A guy tried to "help" me get arrange my boat to Bocas and get a $20 cab at the Panamanian border. Eventually, I ditched him (not an easy feat) and got my own cab for a lot less. Thanks - no help needed (at least not the help you're offering).

I remembr Jen Volz being frustrated by he culture and how things worked in China. She had traveled a lot in Central America (whereas I had lots of experience in Asia). I have a feeling that I'm experiencing the exact opposite of what she was going through. I'm so tired of people telling me they're helping me, when they're really out to make a fast buck. I'm willing to pay reasonable rates for reasonable help. I'm not willing to pay an unreasonable rates for no help at all.

No comments: