Sunday, April 22, 2007

Procrastination

As promised, I waited until my last week to visit some of Antigua´s greatest ruins. (Sorry - no pictures today.) I hit three separate churches-convents Saturday morning. I really am astounded by the amount of effort and work that went into these various buildings (and all in the 1700s). And to top it off, how frustrating that the city was hit by two major earthquakes during the century... enough to convince them to uproot and move the captial (thank goodness).

Anyhow, I ended up wandering the walls of these old churches and convents alone (my main city walking partner has moved on) and some other friends upted for a local pool. Not that I don´t like sun, pools, friends and fun... but time is short here and I´ve things to do. I fly out Wednesday.

As it was, last night I was exhausted. I think I went to bed at 7.30... I meant to get up to meet some friends, but slept through my alarm and ended up pretty much sleeping until 7 am. Maybe I´ve got a little bit of the ¨gringo disease.¨ Who knows?

1 comment:

Scotty said...

Your experience reminds me of our time in Jerusalem. I remember thinking we only had 4 weeks in the city so I was going into the city every chance I had to visit the sites. Even then I was rushing the last week to see the last few sites. It is amazing how much effort is spent while traveling. That being said, I don't regret a moment of it.