Friday, April 27, 2007

Goodbye Guatemala

I mentioned hitting some final spots in Antigua. I kinda wish I'd found this place a little earlier. I love parks, fountains, and museums. And they had it all. I definitely could have done some homework sitting in the courtyard. Maybe it would have been too distracting, but after a while my bed was a little less than comfortable. Anyhow, I had a "list" of places to see, and I actually managed to get to all but (I think) 2 of them. I guess that means I have to go back.

Anyhow, I then wandered off to the market to buy a gift for my house "mom." I also wish I'd wandered these paths sooner. I wasn't in the "right" mood to bargain (since I was in a hurry to run all my errands), but I could have really gotten into the whole shopping in the marcado thing. I have no idea how this woman thinks she's going to sell all these vegetables before they go bad. But, hey - she made an easy buck off me for letting me shoot several photos. I guess that makes up for the fact that there are 20 other women selling equal piles of goods in the same corner of the market.

PS I'm bummed that I forgot to get a picture with Juanita, her dauhgter (Rita), or her 3 grand-daughters (Rita, Anna Lucia, and Rita). She did give me a buisiness card and asked that I recommend her to all my friends. So, no better way than here - on the internet for all to see. "Casa Juanita" as she called it, is a fine Bed and Breakfast in Antigua and she's super nice and the place is clean and the conversation (once you can speak Spanish) is great. And although she's "scared" to speak english, she's a practical walking dictionary and she knows lots of words. Super sweet - and for a mere $10 a day (room and board and conversation).

And finally... This is Carlos, but second and last teacher in Guatemala. He pushed me, and it was good to solidify lots of what Fredy and I had studied and work on a few new forms as well.

No comments: