Friday, May 18, 2007

Food

Breakfast in Costa Rica is always a surprise. Some days, I eat the same food the family eats (Gallo Pinto). Some days I get my own 'special' feast. It's been odd for me getting my own menu. It makes it feel like there's an awkward imbalance in the house. I asked my house mom about it, and I guess past students have complained about "Gallo Pinto every day."

When I first arrived, she asked me what food I liked or didn't like. Trying to be easy (I'm like that), I told her pretty much everything works. Sure, I don't drink coffee or tea in the morning, but otherwise - anything goes. Then, I noticed that I was rarely served what everyone else was eating. Strange.

I often eat alone in the mornings. Apparently, no one likes eating as early as me. So, I wake up to my own privtate morning meal. Sometimes I've wished I could just eat the "normal" local food, but I never found a polite way to (without offending them) tell them that their efforts at "American" food were somewhat wasted on me. The few times I've had Gallo Pinto, I've really liked it. However, I've decided that the cheese and pancakes of Costa Rica leave something to be desired.

Unlike Antigua, I have to find my own lunch daily. In an effort to keep things cheap... I often survive on a slice of pizza from the local supermarket. That's $2, but the restaurants around here are ready to charge $8 for lunch. Needless to say, I haven't really gotten to know the restaurants. I'm suffering from memories of insanely cheap food in Guatemala, and I can't bring myself to endulge the "crazy" prices of this overpriced tourist town.

For dinner, I usually eat at my host home. Sometimes I eat alone, sometimes with one or two others. Often, then don't eat dinner (not hungry after a long hot day - I guess), but I know they rarely (if ever) all sit down together...

No comments: