Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Outside at Arenal

There are so many options of things to do near La Fortuna. Unfortunately, most of them cost an arm and a leg.
Canyoning
Rafting
Hot Springs
Zip Lines
Waterfalls
Bridges
ATV Tours
Horse Back Riding
and more
We opted for the (relatively speaking) cheaper options of hiking, waterfalls, and a trip to the Baldi Hot Springs. Our first hike was up a volcano (an inactive volcano) near Arenal (an active volcano). I'm pretty sure none of us knew what we were getting into. This "three hour tour" took us up up up up up. My legs are still sore (three days later). I guess it's good though, since it helps prepare me for the annual Broadbent summer hike in the Adirondacks!

Anyhow, as we reached the "sumit" (the lake near the top of the dormant volcano) the seasonal clouds rolled it. Honestly, had we gotten there 10 minutes later, I think the entire hike would have been wasted. Luckily, we got to see what was there - and see it dissapear. These images span about 3 minutes. It was really cool.

I stank really bad when it was over - and I ran out of water about half way through the hike (even though I think I was still carrying several gallons in my clothes!).
After that, we headed down (instead of up) to a big swimming hole at the base of this waterfall! As luck would have it (it is the rainy season) it started pouring only moments after we reached the bottom. But, hey - at least I was able to rinse the stench out of my shirt!

That evening, we warmed up (waterfalls are not warm, nor is rain) at the Baldi Hot Springs. I know a few people that would call this place heaven. 25 pools of varrying temperature (I'm a fan of 104 degrees, but if you want it they've got much "warmer" and also much cooler.

And yes, in honor of my by-gone days in Korea - I did a few rapid transistions from the hot to the cold and back to the hot... "It's good for you," or so they say! I just think it's a fun "tradition" - but don't get me talking about how I feel about what asians say is "good" for the body.

No comments: