Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Cops and Robbers

I live with a family out in the country. One of their daughters (and her family) live in a house out in the back yard. Her daughter is 7. And well... she thinks I understand everything she says. It's kinda funny, since everyone else int he family gives me time to think and question things I might not fully comprehend.

Kembly, however, has taken a liking to the newest house guest and last night she invited me into a rousing game of cops and robbers. She accused me of stealing "something from someone" and insisted that I tell her all about it and confess my crime. She even went into the bad cop routine of banging a brush on the couch and yelling "Tell me!" I was almost expecting a bright light and them a little german "We have ways to make you talk."

Two of her aunts (my house "sisters") had a good laugh at the whole thing. I decidedn to confess that I'd stolen a TV and a radio, but only after bargaining for a reduced sentence. Originally, I was facing 30 days in the slammer, but I agreed to confess only after I got to to lower it to 9 days.

Then, in a strange turn of events, she was facing time - and I was the cop. Busted!

Anyhow, I find talking with kids to be the easiest way to practice Spanish. I'm less self concious and they don't seem to care if I'm talking gibberish. I did the same thing ages ago at Lake Atitlan with all the street vendors. 11 year old girls were trying to sell me gifts for my "girlfriends." I had fun asking them (among other things) if they knew where/who my girlfriend was (since I currently am in the dark on this matter).

No comments: