Monday, May 7, 2007

It Looks So Easy

In my college days, I had a nickname. 18 years ago, my friends called me "Mouse." It's a long story. Well, not really - but I don't feel like telling it.

Suffice it to say, these mice have me beat on the waves.Today, I had my first surf lesson (finally), and I pretty much wanted to hurl when it was over. I am SOO out of shape. For those of you who surf, you already know this. For the rest of you - surfing is NOT just about "catching the wave" or "getting up on your first try" (which I did, thank you). It's also about pulling yourself through the water with only your hands, while balancing precariously on a board and being repeatedly attacked by mountains of water. I really need to work my upper body.

My teacher says 10 pushups in the monring and 10 at night every day will make a difference. He might be right, but perhaps I ought to just start swimming again. Whatever the case, my teacher (I think his name was George) got me going and I now understand what I need to practice.

Some people scoff at Tamarindo's waves, but I was completely satisfied. They were as big as I could have wanted and plentiful. It was a bit "crouded"but I don't really have anything to compare it to. However, it was nice to have various instructors yelling to their respective students, "Now, now, pladle!" It helps with the whole, "When do I go?" question of starting to surf.

We'll see about getting back out in the water. Unfortunately, my school schedule an the local tide charts seem to be in disagreement over where and what I ought to be doing.

No comments: