Monday, March 26, 2007

High School Girls

A group of high school students from Little Rock Arkansas joined our shool on Wednesday. They´re here for 10 days and 3 of the girls have joined Juanita and me at the casa! The trio are an interesting group. Amelia is energetic and anxious to practice her Spanish. Nicole is a German exchange student to the US who speaks little to no Spanish. And Kendra isn´t as anxious to speak but she can if she has to.

All three of them are sooooo lost. It´s kinda funnt to listen to them talk/converse. Honestly, Amelia knows more vocabulary than me and they probably all know more about Spanish grammar tenses than me (I learned the past tense today - thank you), but they struggle to understand. It´s really interesting. i can understand so much more than I can say, and I think they (well... Amelia) is the other way around. But, I give her props for trying. She´s much more outspoken than I am.

Also, on this topic - I´m glad I´m not here as part of an organized tour or especially a highschool trip. I can tell they (and their fellow students) have varrying degrees of interest in learning or studying. I find myself thinking back to what I would have been like in highschool and how much I really didn´t enjoy studying or learning (and how much I thought I could/coudn´t learn some things). Anyhow, I don´t think I´ll take the time to detail all my thoughts exactly, but I feel like I didn´t really start ¨learning¨ or ¨liking learning¨ until after high school.

Now, although I get tired from the effort, I´m completely enjoying the experience. I keep wondering if they (the students) realize what/how much they can get out of their 10 days here!!

No comments: