Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Being Mr. Right

I often like to think I'm "right." In fact, sometimes this gets me into trouble. It has become obvious to me that it's much less important (being right) than I used to think. It's even possible that it's the least important thing. [But knowing something and doing something are not the same.]

For example, I've run into a few words lately that I had to study and re-interpret to understand as others understand them.

1) One example is "ultimos" (it's spanish for last or lattest). I got in a discussion with my teacher about what I "thought" it meant and what it really did mean. I was convinced I knew what it meant (mainly due to my understanding / misunderstaning of how to translate "la Iglesia de los ultimos dias"). Tip to the wise: trust your Spanish teacher to know what Spanish words mean. Things work much better that way.

2) Another word is "school" (it's english for a process or duration of education). A friend and I went back and forth a bit about what constituted "school." I have a much broader - less formal - definition than she does (hers is very formal and specific). I wanted to think my definition was the "right" definition. I also wanted us to agree on the definition. This is soooo not worthwhile. Tip to the wise: It's ok (indeed - sometimes preferrable) "to agree to disagree" and it's often the better path.

Sometimes debating the little things does nothing to resolve those little things, but rather it opens up grander opportunities for misunderstanding and frustration. Usually, with Fredy - when he corrects my Spanish usage, I say "Doh!" (implying that I know he's right - which he usually is). On the other hand, the dispute "school" was more challenging. Rather than accepting a difference of opinions about a language I've spoken for 30+ years, I got stuck trying to prosletize my preferred interpretation. This is often an unwise coarse of action.

It's not pretty. I need to do that less. Being "right" isn't necessarily all that important. Besides, I was wrong in both cases (depending on your point of view - and everyone is equally entitled to their various points of view). It's like the Fonz on Happy Days... "I was wro......"

No comments: