Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Weekend Update

I just took some flack for not writing more in Spanish, so here:
Consado
Mojado
Divertido
Semana Santa!

Tired
Wet
Amused
Holy Week

That's pretty much sums things up right now. Anyhow, I am trying to do to much with my limited time. Saturday night I was out late, and then I woke up super early on Sunday (sans alarm clock, thank you: internal clock). It ended up being a good thing, but under-five-hours of sleep isn't enough for this boy. Here we are and it's Tuesday and I all wanted during my lunch break was a nap!

Anyhow, so what's all this fun stuff I'm doing?

Saturday morning I ran into Austin and Eve in front of the school and we hung out on and off for most of the day. Eve and I wandered the city looking at buildings, roads, people, stores, etc... Austin was a bit preoccupied with the NCAA playoffs, but we'll let him have his moment of americana. It all ended last night so he'll be out and about in the sunlight more than last week.

I'm trying to figure out how to describe the plethora and variety of processions, pagents, demonstrations, music, and the like that are happning here this week. Really - there's no way I can cover it al. But, they re-enact pretty much everything you can imagine from the last week of Christ's life (from his entry into the city, burro included, to his crusifiction). People come from all over the country and each day is busier and more crowded than the one before.

Sunday morning I followed a parade out of town to San Filipe (sp?) and the road was completely backed up with bus after bus after bus of people coming for the festivities (not to meantion a few pickup trucks loaded to overflowing. I have a feeling lawsuits haven't really reached guatemala yet. It's just not "practical" to have a seatbelt and an airbag for everyone! Beside - no one gets hurt going to church!

No comments: