Saturday, April 7, 2007

Coffe

I think I mentioned that I went to a coffee plantation.

Well, here are some photos and vague details.

First, the coffee is picked

Then it´s shelled (or de-shelled depending on your grammar preferences)

Then, the beans are dried in the sun from 8-15 days (depending on humidity and rain)

Then, the beans are shelled again (there are two shells).

The first shells are used as fertilizer and the sencond shells are used to fuel the machinery that processes the beans.

The "best" beans are exported and the rest are used here in Guatemala (how do you like THAT).

Anyhow, it was interesting to see, even though I only understood bits of the information (I haven't learned all those special words used only by coffe farmers - maybe that's next week's lesson).

No comments: