Monday, April 16, 2007

Serendipitous Redemption

Years ago (in Korea) I came up with a quote to help get us through the potentially rough days. (Yes, being a missionary can be rough at times, but that's a topic for someone else's blog.) For us, one simple quote about serendipity made all the difference when things weren't working out, "Plan for the best and expect something better." Well, it turns out that Río Dulce understands serendipity just like Korea did. In my previous entry about this town, I was less than generous. I did have a "plan" (faulty though it was), but the town eventually one-upped me (and both of my plans) and I was pleasantly surprised! (Teach me to be mopey.)

Sunday morning I was able to get a boat tour of the River and the nearby Lake. I figured, "Well - I ought to do something to salvage my detour." That was my second plan - salvage the day (since my plan from the day before had obviously not worked out). It was a nature tour of the river and the nearby lake. I was getting ready to write the blog about how it was a poorly scripted international version of Disney's Jungle tour... without "the back side of water"...

Then... Serendipity took over. Years ago they had a small Pirate problem in these parts. Yes, Pirates! And wouldn't you know it - they built a small fortress (or Castillo with a draw--bridge and everything) to defend themselves against those nasty creatures.

Now come on! Who doesn't like Pirate stories!?!?!?! No one I know!

So, already the day was turning around and my appreciation for Río Dulce was growing. In fact, my appreciation for Pirates of the Carribean was also growing. This is a cool place (not to mention the second live Halo board I've encountered in the last month).

Yeah, anyhow - fun times.

Then, to top off my day (before leaving on the noon bus), Río Dulce was good enough to coordinate their Annual Village Festival in my honor. Yup, every year on April 15th, they start an 8 day festival... How... serendipitous! Now, I'm not going to say this was the best parade I've ever seen. In fact, it may have been the warst (no offence), but that made it that much better! This photos is of a syncronized dance-march. Also, I think I mentioned that Río Dulce is a one-road town at the base of a bridge (the longest brige in Centra America)... Imagine the traffic jam on a one lane road to the only bridge when a parade takes over the road. Anyhow, I enjoyed!

Anyhow, my point - I had an overall good time (despite the difficulties) in Río Dulce: Serendipitous Redemption

No comments: