Friday, March 23, 2007

Itxapa

Did I spell that right? I guess it really doesn't matter.

This afternoon I took another school-led field trip. At some point, I'll need to get out and actually guide myself through this town and get into some of its buildings (luckily I have 4 more weeks), but until then - I'm getting my fill of school-led outings. I figure they're on a 2-3 week rotation, so pretty soon they'll run out of things I want to do.

Anyhow, today we headed out to another Peublo to see "real life" in Guatemala (Antigua is a pretty rich/touristy version of Guatemala). Itxapa is a pretty run down (comparatively) city and the reason we went there though was to compare and contrast the two prevalent religious of hte country.

Believe it or not, those women hovering over mounds of apparent trash are engaged in a religious ritual. It seems that arrording to Alfredo and my broken understanding of his Spanish) that when Catholicism hit the country, some of the locals decided to create a religion that was the antitesis of Christianity. Inside their church, they have statues of a "diety," but the figure is surrounded by (no joke) Marlboro cigarettes, open bottles of alcohol, and money. He's dressed in dark clothes and wearing a sombrero. He even has a companion next to him in his quest to be not what the God of the Christian is.

When we visted the chapel there was a couple "praying" to him as one would find people praying in a cathedral, but not as one would find in a cathedral - if you get my meaning.

Out in front of the building the women were burning food products and other assorted items as offerings and they had black candles that they would pray with and then toss into their smokey fires on behalf of themselves and others. Oh and don´t forget the guy smoking the huge cigars!

Anyhow, the point is: various religions have come about for various reasons for various peoples in various lands. Having heard plenty about the dominance of the conquering Spaniards and their professed Catholocism, I can understand why some here would have felt a strong urge to oppose it and what it taught and stood for.

On the other side of town, there was a nice simple Catholic chappel with all the usual Christian symbols, paintings, sculptures, etc... along with a few posted announcements from the Pope. It was a simple building compared to some fo the older ones from centuries past, but it's a mere 1/4 mile from the other "church." So, we had a short lecture about how the first church accpeted dringing, smoking, prostitution, homosexuality, you name it, etc... So, if you're looking for a church that will let you do anything you want. I think I've found it.

Granted, church isn't about being told you can do anything you want (at least, I don't think it should be). You can tell yourself that anytime you want - without a church. Religion is about finding the most fulfilling way to live in this life and hereafter (though an appeal to a diety that knows more than you do), which may in fact require sacrifice of certain desire, pleasures or past-times.... But, hey - I'm no more a theologian than I am an architect, but I am reading my favorite travel book for the 3rd time. I think everyone should read it (espially - but not only - anyone who complains about religion and God and the state of the world).

Interesting sidenote about the Catholic churches here in Guatemala... They often have 1 or 2 indiginous (sp) men out front playing music to entice people or members of local religions to enter therein. The song is the same at all churches, and the reason stems from the native people's desire to pray outside (whereas most Christians seem to prefer indoor worship). So, if you build a church for indoor worship in a land where people are used to worshiping outside???... Play music to invite them in - of course!

So much for teaching the priciples of salvation, forgiveness, progression, mercy, fulfillment and all that... Just play a little music and hope they'll pray to their gods inside your church. That counts, right?

No comments: