Tuesday, March 20, 2007

My Journal

An entry from my "real" journal...

So I've been blogging my trip online. I'm a bit frustrated by that process actually. Not many people look at it - which is good. In reality, i don't like my writing style whe I write under the time crunch of the internet cafe login fees. I'm also realizing that it's difficult to write a blog for such a varried audience. I invited friends, family, old aquaintances and cowokers to view it. So, I'm writing to married & single, old & young, religious (LDS and other) & non-religious, seasoned travers & and unadventurous alike.

So anyhow, I'm not sure what to write or what will actually be of interest to people. A true journal would read differently, but I'm not just writing for myself.

Also, in trying to explain what I'm seeing and doing, I'm realizing that I really don't know what I'm seeing (or rather "about" what I'm seeing). Kathryn's log was so engaging and I feel like mine is just a random hodge-podge. It's hard to say really.

I tend to write some pretty good stuff when I take the time to write and fine-tune and target a specific audience. I think I just need to find my voice and my audinence.

I've really enjoyed this trip thus far. The first week was fun, surprising, enlightening, relaxing and more.

I feel like I'm learning Spanish pretty quick, but I also feel like 10 weeks won't be enough. Of my 6 weeks in Guatemala, 1 is already gone. I can't tell if I'll learn faster or slower as time passes. You know, I don't know the shape of my Spanish learning curve.

Travel-wise, I like having a home-base and a not-so-rushed-schedule. On many of my prvious trips I've been cramming to fit things in. Granted, the danger of having 6 weeks is that I'll get complacent... and end up cramming at the end. Unlikely, but still a possibility.

At church today, Tyler called Tamerindo, "Tamagringo." I'm afraid I may not enjoy it as much as hoped. Granted, i've known all along that there's less "culture" there but more "fun." So, after intense Spanish here, I'll continue there with the added bonus of learning to surf and amazing natural wonders. So, I guess I'm "aware" more than "worried!"

I've been considering if/how I might extend this trip. Sure, I haven't even been gone a full week... but still: for only $25 I can change my flights and there's so much great stuff to see and places to go. Tyler outlined a solid week of potential travels in eastern Costa Rica as well as Panama. Plus, there are plenty of places here in Guatemala I might not get to while I'm in school. Anyhow, it's something to think about. As it is, I go home on 5/20.

-------------------------

Anyhow, that aws a entry in my perosnal entry. I think it covers some stuff in plain enough language that it's worth including in the blog. I'm still trying to figure out what/how to write for the internet audience, and I was a bit bummed by what I'd written so far. So there. The entries will continue. Including info about native Mayans, more dance classes and people I'm meeting. But, for now - I'm late for dinner and I have to get home.

dave

2 comments:

Goatmaster.K said...

Ahhhh Dave, I too struggled with writing for my broad audience. Plus, I was in no ways a writer and was a first time blogger. Have no fear; I am enjoying your blog and the content is not new to me! Forget about the intended audience completely (too broad for any focus) and write whatever (and whenever) YOU feel like. If you are pissed about the slightly crude(?) fountain in the Centro Parque... post it. Now if you decide to get IN the fountain and take a closer look, well I want to read about that too.

Oh, and congrats of your new marital status- what a lucky gal. I 'm sending your wedding present down on the next chicken bus from GUATE, GUATE GUATE!!

Scotty said...

I think your responses are completely appropriate and are similar to observations we have had together while traveling. I never want a history about the culture or town when my friends send messages from traveling; I can get that from the interweb. I do like their experiences and random things like monkeys attacking them for food, etc. Good luck and keep sending the posts. I, for one, enjoy them while I am on call at the hospital and am shirking patient care wishing I were far away in some hot, humid climate.