Sunday, March 18, 2007

The Church of the Final Days

I'm Mormon* and I like to go to church (even when I'm on vacation). In most countries I've vistied, I usually flip throught the phone book and find the listing for the "Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints" (or it's equivalent) and give them a call). In most countries this is actually pretty easy (Mexico, Germany, Spain, Canada... even France).

Well, phonebooks are not common here. (I have yet to see one.)

Luckily though, Kathryn drew me a map to the approximate location of the church back in LA. So, on Friday - I went searching, so that I'd know where to go on Sunday. I was also hoping to find the meeting times posted, since I forgot to ask Kathryn for that important detail.

Anyhow, I wandered up to where I thought the church should be and I didn't see anything like a church. So, using my recently mastered Spanish I asked a man (with his wife and daughter) who were loading up on a moped, "Do you know where the Church of Jesus Christ of the Final Days is?" A poor translation to be sure, but I figured I was in the right part of the city so they'd have to know it. Nope.

So they drove off and I kept walking (back the way I'd come, because I was pretty sure I'd gone too far). Then to my surprise a few minutes later, he comes zooming up (with family still on the moped) and says he checked up one road and it's not up there either.

I'm thinkin, "Hey dude - thanks for the effort, but I didn't mean to put you out of your way. I'm sure I'll find it, so don't worry about it. Thanks for you help."

I said, "Está bein."

We smiled, he said other random stuff. I told him I didn't know what the heck he was saying (ie I said, "No comprendo.) and he rode off laughing and looking worried at the same time.

A few minutes later, he's back... My first thought was, "Oh my gosh, I've ruined this family's evening and now they feel obligated to keep checking up on this lost gringo." But, to my surprise, they had found it "The Church of the Saints of the Latter-days." Ah yes, I'd forgotten the "Saints" part in my initial query (not that that would have made any difference).

He pointed down the street at a yellow building in the distance and said that it was the church I sought. He was so happy (as was I)!

So I started walking over to the building to confirm his suggestion and see if there were times posted. Upon ariving, I saw the all-familiar old-school LDS logo on the building with the words "la Iglesia de Jesus Christo de los Santos de los Ultimos Dias."

And then, look who comes riding up on the moped - the happy man and his family. He's giddy that I've found my church! What can I say besides, "Gracias?"

Eventually we parted ways, but I was impressed by his willingness to drive up and down all these streets looking for the church for me and save me all the time and effort. This would not have been the case in, some other places I've been.

When I got to church on Sunday, I ran into another American (Tyler) who had just come from Costa Rica and he gave me various tips on what to see/do there. I asked him how HE found the church. He said he just asked people where the "Mormons" were and that "everyone knows the 'Mormons.'"

Dur! I should have know...

*Just use the word that people understand (here or in the US). Yeah, "Mormon" is a nick name, but so what... People know what it means. THEN, if they care - go ahead and explain the full name and it's meaning.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Dave,
I'm glad to hear you found church... i love your adventures and can't wait to hear more... I hope you make it to a volcano... would love to see photos of that! things are good in boston, it snowed a foot this weekend and is going to snow more... I hate the snow. there's no snow where you are... enjoy that.