Wednesday, March 21, 2007

I got married!

The school took a minibus-load of us out to a nearby Pueblo to see the Mayan culture in action. In was really a visit to a store run by and for the indigenous artisans, but I'm ok with that. They offer a brief overview of customs, clothes, food and ceremonies as a learning experience. They then offer to sell you tons of stuff after the presentation is over. They weren't overly pushy, so I wasn't put-off by the trade-off. (I'm willing to NOT buy things and they were still willing to teach me the basics of their culture and history). One of the girls in the group didn't like how comercialized it was. I get her point, but I didn't mind (I'm kinda used to it though, since it was similar throughout the middle east).

They explained the time and methods of their hand sewing/weaving to create some beautiful textiles, clothes, etc... On of the adminitrators from our school also talked a while about the history of the indigenous peoples and their place in Guatemalan society. These mini-lectures are superficial, but that's about all I can handle anyhow since they're in Spanish. It's actually quite cool to realize that I'm understanding more and more.

[A quick aside... After the field trip to the , some of us went back to the free dance place. This time (more men than women). I just thought I'd throw that out there... before continuing with the Pueblo story.]

So, at the Pueblo - they explained various things about the artistic qualities of their products, etc... and then (partly to entertain and partly to educate) they had several volunteers from the class dress up and re-enact their traditional wedding ceremony.

Well... you see... I was the only guy in the group (aside form the guy from the school), so you guessed it: I got married yesterday! It was all pretty sudden. I think I met my bride-to-be on the bus on the way to the ceremony, and I'm pretty sure her name is/was Lucy. By the time things were done, she was working in the house and I was a field hand and she was caring for our first child (and getting ready to handle 3 or 4 more if need be). And to think I spent all that time actually "dating" to find a wife when all it takes is a short ride in a minibus in Guatemala!

I think that secures it. I'm done dating. Soooooo not worth it. Far too much effort and no payoff. From now on... I'm a mini-bus guy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dave mate, congrats on the wedding, South America ... always the last place you look.