Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Oman

Muscat Oman was a wonderful surprise for me on this trip. Going, I really hadn't given much thought as to why. I just thought "hey, I'm here - it's here... I'll go."

Turns out, Muscat satsfied the adventurer, pirate, cartographer, ameteur history buff, and nature hiker in me. In almost everyway, it was NOT what I expected. But then again, realy: I had no idea what to expect.

Omani's have forts - everywhere. I'd say that they mastered the fort building of the Arab world (historians might differ on that assessment, but that how I feel after 3 days in their fine capitol city).

I hit several museums, and regretfully admit that I also had 1 McDonalds chicken sandwich while walking the streets (I was hungry - and Oman is not cheap). I've avoided McDonalds and other fast food as much as posible, but it happens from time to time. There are some travelers that seek out such "comfort foods" but I shy away as much as possible, opting for the local fare.

Ironically, I ended up at one restaurant (the day after that MD run), a restaurant suggested in Lonely Planet (also the only restaurant within a squeare mile) and found myself surrounded by Europeans (also following the Lonely Planet walking tour). I couldn't help but laugh at the absurdity of it. Here was are, all trying to get an authentic experience (avoiding the fast food and option for local cuisine) and we all end up eating with other tourists.

Didn't change the fact that the food was fummy and the atmosphere engaging. Also, in addition to us Yanks, Gringos and Brits.... there were a fair number of locals as well. But I couldn't help but wonder if they're happy or sad that their favorite local dive is now tops on the Lonely Planet list?!

No comments: