Saturday, April 14, 2007

A Green T-Shirt

So for nearly 3 weeks, Eve has been searching for a green t-shirt and draging Austin and me along for the ride (not that we really minded)... But anyhow, you´d be surprised how hard it is to find a green t-shirt in Antigua (at least one that will fit Eve and not just my 4 year old niece).

Anyhow, Austin and I got the coolest going-away gifts from Eve. She made us individual cards in Spanish! Now lest you think this is no big deal... It IS a big deal, because it meant a lot of work for her to create them, as well as faith in us that we´d be able to read them. And the cards didn´t just say, ¨Nice to know you.¨ They were lengthy good-bye commentaries. I´m guessing it took her hours to do them . In any case, I think Austin would agree with me that these cards were a very cool and thoughtful gift.

And so, I was thinking - I didn´t get anything for Eve (I had considered a few random gifts, but she made it pretty clear that she was trying to travel light for her final weeks and I didn´t want to weight her down with unecessary oddities)... And then, I wandered into a shop and a green t-shirt reached out and grabbed me. Almost, really! I didn´t have to look for it or anything, it was just there waiting to be bought. So I bought it (and a Sharpie).

Then, Austin and I scribbled memorable quotes from our time together with Eve. And I gave it to here in the van as we left town to go to Tikal Wednesday night. I had no idea it would be as big a hit as it was. Eve had been a bit ¨mopey¨ (for lack of a better word) Tuesday night as she realized her time here with us was drawing to a close, but I´d like to think that this moment in the van was enough to negate all that. She said it was the best gift she´d ever gotten! Like I said, I didn´t realize it would be as big a hit as it was, but I´m glad it was! I like making people´s day. After all, I am a walking ¨Make a Wish Foundation.¨

When we had some time, Eve did a little ¨surgury¨ on the shirt. It´s amazing what a pair of scissors can do to an ¨average¨ tourist t-shirt. Below you can see the shirt in it´s final form, and (if you care) read the various comments written all over it. I don´t expect any of it to makes sense to you, but for Austin, Eve, and me - it´s the untilmate reminder.



No comments: