Sunday, December 21, 2008

Hot or Not?

As I recall - in America (The United States thereof, that is) men beep their horns at beautiful women. At least, that's how it works in the movies (especially honking at women they've never met and somehow expecting that obnoxious 120 dB F# to woo her into a long term relationship (or at least a one night stand). If only life were like the movies.

Anyhow, I digress. Thing is - here in (pick your country: Nepal, Oman, AUE, Yemen, and especially - Lebanon) I keep getting honked at. I'm starting to know what it must feel like to be a beautiful woman. Oh wait - strike that. I digress.

Am I hot... or not? I'm guessing "not."

Here's the deal - I must look like a guy who needs a ride (probably something about the fair skin, the goofy backpack, the hiking shoes, and the mildly lost glaze across my face. So... every taxi driver honks as he passes hoping I'll dump an inordinate amount of money into his retirement fund for driving me .25 miles up the road to the next landmark.

It took me a while, but I've finally mastered what it seems ever woman I've ever honked at seems to have mastered: the... "ignore the honks because they don't actually know you or offer anything you want" look. In other words, I keep walking and avoid the urge to turn and examine all loud noises.

Granted, this can be mildly problematic when the military guards are blowing whistles at me to indicate I ought to stop whatever I'm doing (taking a photo for instance). At these times - paying attention to the loud noises might be in order. Foreign travel - everyday a new negotiation.

PS It would be cool if beautiful women would look at me even when I'm not honking at them. I'm just sayin'.

No comments: