Thursday, January 31, 2008

We're from Nairobi and we're on the ball...

The cannibals may eat us, but they'll never beat us
'Cuz we're from Nairobi and we're on the ball

Singing un-ga-wah, un-ga-wah, un-ga-wah, un-ga-wah
Those aren't the exact words I learned as a a child, but they're close. Needless to say, no one's eating anyone; and they probably don't teach that song at camp anymore (just like they no longer sit kids down indian style). Dut I digress...

Anyhow, the people of Nairobi are certainly on the ball. This is a thriving city with plenty going on (and I'm told things are "slow" right now - it must be completely crazy when things are fully hopping). Today, after relocating to cheaper accomodations (tonght I'll be paying almost 1/3 what I paid last night), I wandered the city taking in the sights and sounds, and a few museums. I also got to stand on the heli-pad at the top of the Second-Tallest-Building-in-Nairobi (darn it all if the tallest-building didn't HAVE a heli-pad for me to stand on). Great view (I'll post it when I get home - yes, more photos!).

I stumbled onto a street filled with vendors selling "this and that." It SO reminded me of Korea. And it wasn't a touristy thing (obviously - there are no other tourists in Kenya right now). This was true Nairobi selling itself to each other. I loved it - and I bought some stuff.

My guide at the top of the Conference Center (Irene) gave me a good overview of the city, the buildings, the history, the views, etc... She even pointed me to a find place to eat dinner (but I decided to hold off and eat there later in the weak). All things considered, a great day. Heck, I even saw two Hindu Temples, several shot-guns, a gazillion matatus (mini-bus-taxis), and I had a guy invite me to sit down to a nice cup of coffee and discuss America (specifically whether or not there is discrimination there) - I refused his offer.

Anyhow, yeah. Niarobi. Fun place. And honestly, it seems like a safe enough place (on par with several other internation cities I've visited). Sure, I'm watching my back and I'm guard. But I guess I kinda like the adventure of randomly exploring and experiencing, while at the same time protecting and defending.

Solitary Vagabond...

PS Uhuru Park (apparently now world famous) even looks calm and peacefull (from the heli pad). I'll let you know what it really looks like later (yes Mom - after I've been there).

No comments: