Wednesday, January 30, 2008

This is Your Pilot Speaking

We flew to/from the Safari (thus avoiding the long, bumping, tedious "bus" ride). It cost a bit, but the whole adventure was well worth it.

One thing that stood out was the pilot handing me a box of mints on the plane as we prepared to take off and suggested that everyone enjoy one as an in-flight-snack. I think there were 11 of us on the flight (including the flight crew).

Anyhow, I felt like perhaps I was on the set of Indiana Jones, since our plane was about that same size/build as the ones he used to travel the world (maybe a bit newer): 2 props, a couple doors, plenty of window seats (don't ask how I managed not to get one), low altitude flights and flight durations (jumping from airport to airport) ranging from 6 minutes to 35 minutes. Fun times.

On our return flight, our pilot (American, I think) took a moment to encourage us to do the following (tell our friends about how great is is to visit Kenya and how the news reports are "probably true, but certainly unbalanced." His point being (and I paraphrase as I fulfill my assignment): large parts of Kenya are safe. Really! And super cool to visit. We had a wonderful time on Safari and never once worried about the unrest that is plaguing other parts of this country. Come, enjoy the spectacular that is Kenya.

There. Done. I could go on, and I will in another entry. Thing is, it was just funny to have the pilot of our airplane basically pleading with us to remind our friends and neighbors that there is still a wonderful, but apparently overlooked (currently) vacation destination (a destination that his job depends on you visiting, I presume).

So yeah: Visit Kenya. I highly recommend it.

No comments: