Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Safari!

OK, that's probably the fastest safari on the planet (actually - I'm kind of willing to guarantee such). We flew out of Nairobi at 10 am yesterday and returned (having seen much - see below) today at 1 pm. So, pretty-much a 24 hour trip into the wilderness.

And yet - to be frank - I think I saw what I "needed to." We saw four of the "Big Five" (Leopard, Elephant, Rhino, Lion, Buffalo) - we never found a Leopard. We also crossed paths with various birds, hippos, giraffes, wilder beasts, butterflies, hyenas, gazelles, and more. And yes - I took a few pictures (actually more than a few - 8).

Thing about the photos... I took many of them with my new friend (Sara Durden)'s camera. She brought a slcik 10.2 mega-pixel Nikon D40 SLR. Needless to say, I now want one. Sadly, she got quite sick and had to skip our 24 hour adventure into Masai Mara - but she was kinda enough to suggest that I take her camera with me. [Now the trick: to get the photos from her - she lives on the east cost, and I don't.]

Anyhow, we got really close to so many different animals. So much so, that the gazelles that amazed in during hour-one were "old hat" by the time we had to leave. Funny how that happens. Even so, I kept clicking the shutter. I'll see what I can do to whittle down the number of photos (for those who care to browse the highlights).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

when I was on safari our driver took off into the bushes to chase a leopard - seriously, right through the bush. it was, um, a little bit unpolitick of him but I'll be darned if we didn't see that leopard (and run over who knows what endangered plants and small animals in the process)...