Thursday, February 7, 2008

VOD: Why read a book?

Is is me, or is the person in front of me reading a book? OK, I suppose that's allowed (but only because the entertainment system's VOD (Video on Demand) hasn't been turned on yet.

This may not be a big deal to all my international traveling friends, but things have changed in the world of in-flight-entertainment since I last flew abroad (or maybe it's just because these were MUCH longer flights. Anyhow, point is - instead of just giving you 10 movies to pick from, and insisting that you watch your selection at the same time as everyone else on the plane... Our flights had mini-individual-TiVo-esue units for every passenger. I think there were 200 program choices and we were able to pause, rewind, restart at will. Pause live TV is now right there in the seat-back in front of you!

Now, lest you think my brain turned to mush watching 18 hours of TV and movies - I will admit that I read some on the plane as well (so I suppose I'll let my fellow passenger off for doing likewise). Of course, my book was about Rwanda, which when added to in-flight versions of The Last King of Scotland and Blood Diamond. Actually - maybe my brain did turn to mush: too much media-style tellings of strife on the African continent.

To balance it all out - I watched Sliding Doors on the way home. See - I have a sensitive side!

Ooops, did I just admit that?

No comments: