Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Rookie Mistakes

Someone ones told me I focus on the bad side of things. Not really - I just think they make for better stories. So, a few "bad" things of note from the first 3-5 days (depending on how many "days" of travel there were).

1) I booked the wrong flight
2) I left several overpriced gifts from a street vendor in my guide's car yesterday (sorry)
3) I brought hand sanitizer, but neglected to use it (I have a cold - and I'm blaming it on one of numerous handshakes)
4) I mistook a Canadian for an American (but, really - who hasn't done that?)
5) I left my Lonely Planet travel guide book in my guide's car today (alas, two different guides; two different cars)
6) I left my dental bite guard in Los Angeles (yes, I have a bit guard). Hopefully my teeth wont start looking like Yemeni teeth before I can get home and use it again!

Years ago, on a trip to Mexico, my travel companions and I started calling such errors "rookie mistakes" - you know: the kind of thing only an un-seasoned traveler would do. Oh well, what can I say - I'm not unseasoned, but apparently I'm out of practice.

The cool thing about it - it all works out in the end.

No comments: