Thursday, January 17, 2008

DSL - I think not.

This is my fourth attempt (in as many days) to add an entry to this blog (don't think that I've forgotten you - my avid readers). I'm currently in Kigali, Rwanda and I'm just happy to have finally found an internet cafe with computers that appears to be working and an internet connection. Just don't expect photos or videos at this point.

Rwanda has been fantastic. The people are so friendly and the landscapes are more than I would have ever imagined. I must admit I knew little/nothing about this country before we got here. Oh sure, I saw "Hotel Rwanda" and I read the intro in the Lonely Planet book, but that's barely scratching the surface. We've met some wonderful people while adventuring through the country. I could come back here.

Tomorrow, we fly back to Nairobi for part two of the trip - but here are a few things that have happened so far:
- 4 movies during our 2 flights (17 hours of flying time)
- surprise meeting with Simon at airport
- flat tire in parking lot
- tea with Simon
- moutain hikes
- meeting Stephen
- malaria prevention side-effects
- motocycle rides
- lost passport (thankfully not mine)
- found passport (an hour later - stressful!)
- breakfast included (hot chocolate and bread)
- forgotten rain coat - a minor problem when it rains
- Treking with Gorillas
- COLD shower
- early morning Rwandan Police Department PT Training run
- new friends from Connecticut

Suffice it to say - that fact that only a week has passed is really quite stunning for all of us to refect on (there goes the dangling participle again). Anyhow, we've been having a wonderful time. I highly recommend Rwanda. Throw out any misconceptions of danger or lack of safety. We all agree that Rwanda actually seems much safer than Nairobi.

Anyhow, I hope you're well. I'd say to write, but email is harder to accomplish than posting to the blog... So yeah... I'll be in touch in February (and hopefully I'll find time and means to post before then).

dave

3 comments:

tessat said...

I'm very excited that you're in Africa and having a great time. Be safe and keep your blog going. And if you are able to meet up with Phyllis, please give her my love.

Scotty said...

I feel your pain. In Africa I would spend hours trying to download everything since they have computers that are 10 years-old trying to run the latest pirated software. It's all good. I'm actually surprised you can find anything at all.

Kristie said...

WOW! Finally a spare moment to leave a comment. Honestly Dave, your adventures are amazing! I really need to get down to LA now, when you're back so we can sit down and have a slide show session wherein you tell me the full versions of the stories. How incredible it all sounds!