Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Would You Like to Buy a Camel?

Yes, that's what I said: Would you like to by a camel?

Although much of the "old life" of the UAE seems to have been swallowed up in the past 50 years of modernization, there are still some things that never change (much). A short drive (relatively speaking, since it took me nearly 24 hours to get there by plane) outside Abu Dhabi, there is a camel market. Yup, they sell and trade camels. I guess it makes sense, but still - who'd a thunk it.

Anyhow, it's a big open field surrounded on all sides with sellers of all sorts, sizes, ages, and styles of camels. I'm not quite sure who buys them - or why (except for those guys who offer rides to people on safari), but hey - camels: they're tradition. The market is right near the border with Oman, so I guess it's actually an international camel market (not to mention the fact that - like everything else in the UAE - the people doing the selling weren't actually from the UAE). I met a camel sellers - presumably working for the camel owners - from Pakistan, Iran, and Egypt.

Ah the memories. If only I could have fit one in my carry-on bag, I'd have brought one back. I mean really - who doesn't want a camel?


3 comments:

The G-Funk! said...

Dude -- camels are nasty!! Not as cute and cuddly like Disney would have you think . . .

susan said...

Those places are so fun, unless you bring your nubile 15 year old sister wearing her cute sundress. Then it's a little more sinister and creepy, what with all the smelly camel sellers trying to touch her and stuff.

Annalea said...

lol What a fun place to visit.

As for camels being outdated . . . what about US horse shows and county fair auctions? Or Craigslist or other local horse trading/selling sites? Same thing, different trappings. :o)